HONEY BEES PLAY A VITAL ROLE IN OUR ECOSYSTEMS AND FOOD SUPPLY
Bees have been struggling in recent years due to many unnatural stresses which include habitat disruption, monocultural & genetically engineered food provisions, and invasive pathogens & parasites. One way to help bees and our local ecosystems thrive is by installing and caring for hives, but there are other ways you can help as well.
Beaver Valley Area Beekeepers Association (BVABA)
Washington County Beekeepers Association (WCBA)
Western PA Beekeeping Seminar
Three Rivers Bioneers
Pittsburgh Depart of City Planning “Urban Agriculture Code”
Pittsburgh Depart of City Planning “Urban Agriculture Code-FINAL”“
Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture, Apiary Online-Registration
Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture, Apiary Mail-In Registration
Pennsylvania State Beekeepers Association
Pennsylvania State Beekeepers and Inspectors
Pennsylvania Association for Sustainable Agriculture
Penn State Cooperative Extension, Allegheny County
Pennsylvania Apiary Advisory Board “Best Management Practices”
Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture “Protection of Agricultural Operations From Nuisance Suits and Ordinance”
Penn State Pollinator Protection Plan
*Register your apiary with Pennsylvania.
BURGH BEES ACKNOWLEDGES OUR SUPPORTERS
Ernst Conservation Seeds
Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium
Sprout Fund’s Seed Award Program
The Porch at Schenley
East End Food Coop
Peck Family Foundation
Hyatt Regency Pittsburgh International Airport
Mid Atlantic Apiculture Research and Extension Consortium
Bee Informed Partnership
Eastern Apicultural Society of North America, Inc.
Penn State Master Gardener Pollinator Garden
Penn State Center for Pollinator Research
Bee Research Laboratory: Beltsville, MD
DYCE Bee Lab Cornell
US Forest Service Pollinator of the Month
National Honey Board
Northern American Nectar Sources for Honey Bees
- The Secret Life of Rust Belt Beekeepers
- Cohen, Stefanie. Beekeeping In The City
- Stojnic, Niki. Buzz kill: Buzz kill: Can Urban Beekeepers Save the World?
- Todaro, Lenora. Hives Among Us.
- Burgh Bees Google Group Feed
- THE PLIGHT OF THE BEES
- Conrad, Ross. 2007. Natural beekeeping: Organic approaches to modern apiculture.(White River Jct., VT: Chelsea Green Publishing).
- Flottum, Kim. 2005. The backyard beekeeper: An absolute beginner’s guide to keeping bees in your yard and garden. (Beverly, MA: Quarry Books).
- Penn State University, 2004. Beekeeping Basics.
- Blackiston, Howland, 2009. Beekeeping for Dummies.
- Dadant, C.P., 2008. First Lessons in Beekeeping. (Home Farm Books).
- Conrad, Ross: Natural beekeeping: Organic approaches to modern apiculture.
- Swarm Essentials by:Stephen Repasky 2011 Valuable Resource